Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Praying for someone

What do I mean when I say I'm praying for someone? I'm not trying to say that I think God would make everything better if there are enough testimonials that this is a good person. I don't think God works that way. I may or may not mean that I intend to say something like, "And, God, could you keep an eye out for my friend?" because sometimes my prayers aren't shaped in words. Sometimes I mean that I will worry over the person and try to offer that worry up to God, perhaps in the hopes that God will understand both what's going on with my friend and my worry, and move in both our hearts. Sometimes I mean that I really wish I could do more, but I don't know what, and I'm hoping that God will open a way for me to be of service to my friend, or at least open my eyes to the way that's been there the whole time.

And sometimes it means something more practical, like I'll be opening my worry up to God while I bustle about in my little kitchen, making a casserole or soup to send over. I won't necessarily mention whatever it is that I'm fussing about. God knows. God knows that I'm fussing, and knows why. God knows that my friend needs help and how. God knows that I need help. God knows. And that's not what praying for someone is about to me. It's about sharing my caring and love for someone else with God, inviting God to be there with both of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home