Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

A slow day

The weather change today left me with a headache that sapped my energy. Even so, I picked up my crochet hook and some wool and kept going on a helmet liner from the pattern my friend sent me. *sigh* It's not a very cheering project to work on. I'd rather be working in bright red alpaca, or the beautiful sand and sea varegated soy silk my friend gave me, but at the same time, I feel a connection as I work on the depressing thing. This is to keep my dad warm while he flies, so I'm working tight - a close single crochet, instead of my usual double crochet, which means my mind is on what I'm doing. This isn't one where I can turn on a movie and let my hands work while my mind is on whatever story is on the screen.

In a way, it's good. It's forcing me to be present to my own feelings both on Dad's deployment and on this project. And also to my reaction to the underfunding of current operations - I'm crocheting this because they haven't provided proper equipment - wool is both fire resistant and warmer than the synthetic materials that they have provided. And part of me wants to add something decorative, even though I know it's not permitted - at the least a bit of shell stitch around the edges, which would make it fit better - but it's not permitted.

So I'm taking breaks with the red alpaca shawl I'm making for a friend. Even working on the shawl is a lovely break. Alpaca is so cuddly and the color is bright.

2 Comments:

Blogger Little Black Car said...

Oh, I see the Islam admin people found you, too.

Even though it's not happy, I wish I had more time to do this sort of thing. Sort of like all the socks women knitted and bandages they rolled for past wars. (Sorry, I'm in the process of coming down with a virus so I'm kind of out of it right now . . . )

12/04/2006 6:15 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Yep. I just wish they could have chosen one of my posts where it would have been even remotely relevant.

Feel better soon. For me, at least part of it is having a concrete thing to focus my worry on. These stitches are so tight that the hat can stand up by itself. You can't even poke a pencil through... This hat is beginning to remind me of a woman back home. Her therapist told her during a rough patch in her life to find something physical to do, so she made bread, doing all the kneading and punching down by hand. She had an output like a professional bakery for a couple of months.

12/05/2006 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home