Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Monday, April 02, 2007

Music

I've done it - all three chords, smooth transitions, on rhythm. *happy dance* And now I'm working on making it happen each time. Lots of practice this weekend.

Along with seed catalogs. Am I the only one to love seed catalogs? Hmmm. Yeah, there are flowers, but look! There's a heritage variety of tomatoes... and golden raspberries... and we're far enough south for peaches and pecans, but far enough north for the blueberries... never mind that I live in a tiny apartment with a balcony in partial shade (we do get a couple hours of sun in the late afternoon.)

I don't want a big house, but I do want an orchard and a garden. And an outdoor sheltered kitchen for processing the lot of it. Unfortunately, there were no jobs for me or my husband where we could have afforded the land for that, and here there are jobs, but no land. So I get a seed catalog and try one more time to get some radishes and thumbelina carrots to grow in a windowbox on the balcony.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Little Black Car said...

I love seed catalogs and I don't even have any place to plant anything. I like flower catalogs, too, even though most of them won't grow here and we're notorious for not maintaining/killing off our outdoor plants.

4/02/2007 1:16 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Oh, I always start out saying that what I really want are veggies, but marigolds are good against slugs and you can use them to liven up salads, and well, roses barely count as flowers, they're so useful and grow well with garlic. (Mmmm. heirloom roses. Modern roses don't smell right to me, but I love old roses.) And a bit of lavender, of course...

And just for pretty, field lilies.

And whatever you do, don't get me started on having a small greenhouse with miniature citrus trees. My aunt used to spoil me with fresh squeezed orange juice - "Now, dear, if you'll just go out and get a bit of fruit, I'll start the juicer." I would always peek carefully out the back window before I'd head out, since she'd told me there were alligators in the river. I never personally saw one there (though I saw tons of them out by Kennedy and a few of them at Blue Springs park) but you never know, there *could* have been one out there.

And she'd make me limeaid too.

4/02/2007 1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you go girl! Three chords... ah are they not the basis of all great music? Beethoven did it with just two in the ninth! Awesome. Good job.

4/02/2007 2:14 PM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

And whatever you do, don't get me started on having a small greenhouse with miniature citrus trees.

That could be the start of an obsession for me.

We grew "dwarf carrots" one year when we were kids but lost track of them in the garden. By the time we found them the next spring they were about seven inches long and almost as big around. Hobbit carrots. But they tasted OK.

4/03/2007 9:46 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Thank you. I imagine my neighbors are especially glad that I'm no longer making those odd sounds on the balcony any longer.

Hobbit carrots!

Oooh. I like saying that.

4/03/2007 10:59 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Ahh, seed catalogs...I need to avoid them, this year. Not enough space and no money to spare. Now, if I could trade bath salts for them, like I'm trading some for tomato and pepper seedlings...

4/04/2007 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home