Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Why are there so many songs about rainbows?

No, I haven't been arrested for singing "George W. is a Weenie" while playing the banjo (though I have learned the Mark Twain version of "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and take a great deal of pride in having learned to play both the melody and the chords).

Mostly, I've been very busy doing things offline - visiting family, jobhunting, helping friends move, getting ready for a trip to New York City (where I've never been before) and possibly one to Harper's Ferry (which I would really like to visit again.) I've been getting qualified to volunteer at my county's science center (I may even get to operate the planetarium! Whee!) because I really feel that science education is important, even important enough to pay the money for the county to get my fingerprints and run a criminal background check on me. I've also made significant progress, as noted above, in learning to play my banjo - enough that I'm even able to play a little for people I don't know.

Yesterday, I saw a rainbow (a double, even), and realized that I wanted to write about it - it was gorgeous, the most clearly defined rainbow I've ever seen, hanging in the air and glowing in the sunlight slipping through the clouds. And it called me away from the world of writing samples, fingerprint terminology, and so forth... Simply fabulous

2 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

Glad to see your back. I've missed your commentary. Good luck with the planetarium. I've always enjoyed my trips to planetariums. I love the starlit night sky. Hope you enjoy your trip to New York City.

6/19/2008 9:21 PM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

Thanks for checking in. I was about to send you yet another email but was worried I'd sound like a nag or a stalker or something.

Wow--operating the planetarium sounds like fun! I always loved the planetarium when I was a kid.

On a rainbowless but semi-science education tangent . . . we had the Lucy exhibit here recently. My dad is a geologist by trade and sort of armchair paleontologist, and we grew up hearing about Lucy this and Lucy that. Seeing Lucy in real life was sort of like meeting a long-lost grandmother (you laugh, but I'm not kidding). Better yet, one of the curators at the museum here is on the board of the Darwin society, which meets at my office after hours. A bunch of us from work got a special deluxe tour with him as the guide. It rocked.

6/24/2008 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home