Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

It's been a long week...

Sorry, folks. I know I usually update more frequently than once a week. This week, I've been scattered and scrambling. My job got busy pretty much overnight, and of course, it's been wet, wet, wet from Ernesto. And yesterday on my commute, I got literally soaked to the skin while waiting for the bus to my job. Had this been the first bus, I'd have headed back to the apartment and changed into dry clothes. Unfortunately, it was the second bus, so I spent my day wishing I could have a hot bath and fresh clothes.

*sigh*

And yet, this weekend has had some pretty sublime moments, as well. As I came back from the Metro station on Friday afternoon, I saw a young boy standing in the parking lot of my building with his hands held out in front of him, and his face turned up to the clouds. He was grinning happily, as the drizzle continued. His dad came out of the car, with bags in his arms, saying, "I don't know. He just likes the rain." We talked on the way into the building, with the child practically dancing in the rain, and I had to admit that I was also enjoying the rain. I enjoyed it perhaps even more by getting the chance to see it through this kid's eyes as well.

And I finally got knitted moss stitch right. This may seem like a small thing, but I hate to perl, and I got moss stitch right, which involves a lot of perling, and not only that, but frequent switches in what one is doing, and I did most of the band on my bus commute. I know a woodworker who makes custom knitting needles, and I'm considering asking him to make me some really short ones, like 5 to 7 inch needles, for use in making narrow scarves while commuting. And I'm also thinking of making a bag for my knitting and crochet projects for commuting with, that will allow me to keep the ball neatly attached, with perhaps a grommet or some other opening through which the thread can pass to the outside, where I'll put a pocket for quickly tucking the work while making connections or whatever.

2 Comments:

Blogger Little Black Car said...

I love rain, too.

My best friend and I have one long-running (but good-natured) disagreement: She is a sunshine junkie and I don't care if the sky ever clears again. She used to get terribly depressed during those six-month Iowa winters when we were in college. Dark, overcast days are like favorite flannel pajamas for me.

She lives in Tucson now, and loves it. But we still laugh about the weather.

9/07/2006 10:22 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Even if it's pouring, well, there's hot cocoa and quilts, and ...

My bedroom in my parents' house had a bay window and I used to sit in the window seat and watch storms, with the shutters closed behind me to block out any light from the house.

9/11/2006 7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home