Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Monday, October 30, 2006

The path of the fool

One of the reasons I chose the name "plain foolish" for this blog is that I've always had a special love for the "sacred fool" story - whether Nasruddin Hoca or the juggler of Notre Dame. I often feel like I am doing my clumsy best while seeing the world maybe a little sideways from what everyone else seems to see.

A very special moment in my recent trip involved meeting up with my sister in Phoenix before we travelled together to Hawaii, and seeing balloons poking out of her pack - twisting balloons, the kind you use to make animals. I know how to make them, too, and the two of us ended up doing a little bit of clowning together as we made origami (from the paper in my pack) and twisted balloons for a large family with many children. After we had all arrived in Hawaii, the parents told my sister that the children had played with their new toys for the entire trip. During the trip itself, I unfortunately was unable to cope with the pressure changes as we landed in Hawaii, and couldn't get to my medicine for migraine. A very kind woman seated near me handed me some over the counter remedy that did help, and I was astounded that the origami crane I made for her pleased her so much.

There are days I feel I should be doing more clowning around. I've been having a few of them lately, and tomorrow, I have an excuse. I'll be taking my origami and some balloons with me onto the bus, and I will be dressed in my brightest, tackiest dress, the one from the tie-dyed daisy fabric that my husband liked on the clearance shelf of the fabric store. With unmatched loud stripy socks, and a hat knit to look like a stuffed chicken, and some makeup from my time as a theatrical costume person. (The wierd thing is that it's only the fabric that I'm changing. I'm still wearing my cloth conservative cut and it works... Save for color, I'm still in my plain dress.)

I intend to fold up a lot of that paper into butterflies, peace cranes, and flowers to be presented to the public at large.

3 Comments:

Blogger Little Black Car said...

Happy Hallowe'en!

I went to work today in my old palomino horse costume. I figured if I can't look dignified I ought to at least make everybody laugh. And I did. I think medical students need to see something like that every once in awhile. They always look so stressed out.

10/31/2006 11:16 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Happy Hallowe'en!

One of my coworkers keeps bursting into laughter every time she looks at me. I'll count that as a success.

This morning, on the way to work, I got lots of smiles and waves - it's good to be a clown, and I'd kept my makeup really light so as not to be too scary to folks who don't care for clowns.

10/31/2006 1:54 PM  
Blogger Peterson Toscano said...

Sounds like a brilliant costume. Quakeress gone wild!

11/01/2006 5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home