Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Rustle, rustle

Despite my earlier whining, I am here for fall, and it's wonderful. I walked to the bank to deposit my pay slip and get my bank to refund a withdrawl that was never completed, due to the earthquake aftershocks. (The electricity had come back on, and I thought I'd better withdraw some money to prepare for possible difficulties. Unfortunately, the transaction was interrupted, but my bank counted it anyway, though I didn't get the money. Meh.)

As I walked, leaves skittered around my feet like little puppies excited to be out for a walk. I was wrapped about in color - scarlet, yellow, green, brown leaves rustling in the wind. I thought about how the leaves have no choice but to trust themselves to the wind, and it brought to mind my week in Maui, both the times when I allowed the ocean to carry me, and the moment of panic as I woke up to an earthquake.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Dickson, F.L.A. said...

Your post sounds very similar to my life: always being awakened by an earthquake!

God bless you!

10/23/2006 10:16 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

*grin* The sad thing is that it took an earthquake to wake me up. But that moment, I really was like the leaves: no matter which choices I made, I could not know that they were the right ones.

An earthquake means you should probably evacuate any building you might be in, but a tsunami (we didn't know that there wouldn't be one) means you want to be up high. The nearest high ground was a long way inland or else upstairs in the hotel. We evacuated the building and watched the ocean to see if it would draw back for that giant wave. In that moment, I truly felt how I, too, am a leaf carried on the Breath.

As my family stood together, keeping our spirits up by talking together, I felt blessed both to be able to be with them at that time and that no one we saw seemed to be hurt. I felt even more blessed later to find out that we were not the exceptions but the rule, and that there were no reported fatalities.

10/23/2006 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home