Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

In the ongoing musical adventure...

Swinging back to my banjo progress, it's going very well. My current song to learn is "Red River Valley" and it's going very well. The one difficulty with it is that I love it so much that I don't find myself thinking of it as "notes" the way I do with, say, "Polly Wolly Doodle" where I found myself briefly unable to recall the lyrics because I'd been singing to myself "GABBG GABBG GA1234..."

So, at least initially, I'm making a few more errors, but those errors seem to be resolving pretty quickly, and last night, I was able to do a fairly recognizable run at it. Woot! Oh, happy dance! There is a real joy in learning to play a song that I've loved for a long time, and that has so many happy memories associated with it.

Plus, there's a lot of musical theory associated with this one. Arpeggios, mistake note, a minor key... nifty stuff. And I'm finding I've got the timing at the back of my head, so once I'm more confident of the actual notes, they're actually fitting in better with the timing than previous songs.

I'm looking forward to playing this one for my folks in about a month. Woot!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home