Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Little bits and peace

I'm not a very big person, and sometimes I feel like saying with Piglet that I'm just a little animal, and recently, I've been feeling that way a lot. Yesterday, my husband and I headed for the local theatre, both for a dose of excessive air conditioning and for a dose of escapism via Captain Jack Sparrow and the rest of the silly pirate brigade. I brought my crochet project with me - a delicate bit of extra fine thread in double crochet for an elegant doll shawl. As I waited in line to pick up a small popcorn (has anyone else noticed that even a *small* popcorn anymore is plenty for 2 people?) and some soda, a woman noticed my hands working away with the little steel hook and asked me what I was making, so I showed her and we talked a little about how meditative it can be to have something to do with your hands.

Recently, I've been praying for peace as I work with my hands, whether crochet, braiding, weaving, folding, whatever. I've written to my government representatives. I have tried to live peacefully, and yet, I feel as though the world isn't listening, as though it is set on the path of violence, and is rushing over whatever little pebbles may be trying to form a dam to say stop now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Today, as I waited for jury selection, I got a lot of crochet lace done, and ended up taking a break from it to talk with my fellow potential jurors. It amazed me to see how the simple crafts I brought with me provided a way to reach out and unite the people around me into a conversation. Just as I was beginning to wonder if the judge had ever heard of the concept "lunch" (I am mildly hypoglycemic. Skipping meals is a really bad idea.), we were all excused, and one of the others and I had a longish discussion as we walked to our cars (I'm really grumpy about the lack of public transit to our most public of buildings.) on faith and outreach.

7/20/2006 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home