Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Random facts about me.

I've been double tagged, by Kate of When I was a Boy, and Christine of Quiet Paths.

Rules: 1. Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
2. People who are tagged need to write their own post about their eight things and post these rules.
3. At the end of your post, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
4. Leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

Random things:

1) I love costuming and have since childhood: color, textures, the whole idea of dressing to give a certain character life. But fashion bores the snot out of me. Seriously. I can tell you exactly how to do the costuming for Congreve, and will happily wear said costumes, but my day-to-day clothing is basically tunics with either a pair of pants or a skirt, along with a snood/cap that is reasonably non-descript and black. On the weekend, my clothes tend to get more theatrical. Yes, I'm one of those people who showed up at the Lord of the Rings movies in costume. And I didn't even have to make anything new for them.

1a) My clothes are pretty much either thrifted or else sewn by me. Except for my shoes and socks: and I'm one of those people who wear sandals with socks year round. Mostly Birkenstocks, though I have a pair of water sandals for more active stuff.

2) I won a banjo from a radio contest. I still think this is possibly the most random thing that has ever happened to me. I had never assumed that anyone actually won those contests, for pity's sake - I mean, someone must, or they'd be arrested or something, but noone I knew had ever won anything. And this includes the time that the lady at the information desk had told me that few people were entering the drawing for the trip to Western Canada being given away at the Canadian embassy. I entered, but no go. And I'd kinda hoped on that trip.

3) I love to dance - all sorts, belly dancing, modern dance, square dance, English country dance, just about anything. And I can do the Lindy, though I've forgotten how to Charleston. I used to do both ballet and liturgic dance. I still think liturgic dance is cool, but some of the stuff that's sprung up around it wierds me out. (I recently saw an item for liturgic dance that was produced with holographic material and desert camo. Shudder.)

4) I can't eat new world peppers, or even be around when they're sliced, due to allergic reactions, though I love more than one cuisine where they are prevalent. *sigh*

5) Too much garlic is never enough.

6) I like to cook from historic recipies, and have been known to produce some decent food from them.

7) I have a good memory, which is getting in the way of my musical literacy, since I'd rather just memorize the piece than try to read the music.

8) I'm part native for sure on my mom's side, and I heavily suspect on my dad's side as well. I have scoop teeth, even. And no wish at all to be listed - I don't trust the BIA.

9) (while I'm not going as far as Kate who gave 16 facts after being double tagged, I figure I can go a bit over.) I cheat at solitaire. Wouldn't even otherwise consider cheating at a game, but once I get bored and frustrated with solitaire, I cheat a lot. Which is why I'd rather be reading anyway.

10) Despite the fact that I don't cheat, I tend to win games of Risk easily, so nobody in my family will play it with me anymore, despite the fact that I am willing to play Scrabble, which somebody else usually wins.

Anyway, in the theme of cheating - well, I plan to do so. Since this meme has gone around a bit, I'm not sure who's been tagged and who hasn't. Besides, (11) I hate drawing up lists of people (see number 8), so if you want to be tagged, consider yourself tagged.

Edited to add:

Okay, so maybe I'll make it up to 16, after all.

12) I drive a hybrid, and have gotten... enthusiastic on the subject. I can currently identify all of the economy hybrids on the road without seeing the hybrid mark on them (including the older Prius that doesn't look like a spaceship and the Honda Civic hybrids that pretty much look like Civics, except for small details like where the antenna goes, what the wheel covers look like, etc.) and even a few of the "performance" hybrids. Ask me about my car and I will bore you to tears. I also keep a mileage log and get disappointed if my mileage slips by even a few tenths of a mile per gallon. I do not, however, drive in the dangerous fashion advocated by extreme hypermilers who are able to get figures as high as 100 mpg out of some hybrids.

13) My school record contains notes that I am mentally retarded and am not likely to learn to read, write, or tie my shoes. As noted above, I don't tie my shoes, but I do read and write in more than one language. It also contains a "talanted and gifted" designation, which I've been known to regard with as much suspicion as the "mentally retarded" one. Not because I'm not intelligent, but because I don't regard it as a useful way of teaching children. I have long admired a former president of the Brain Injury Association of America, Allan Bergman, who noted that every child deserves an IEP.

14) Since childhood, I've had a tendency to forget my lunch (requires thinking in the morning, which I'm not good at, to remember it). I've learned to cope by keeping a small stash of emergency food like granola bars and dried fruit in the car.

15) The first thing I ever got to cook that was hot was grilled cheese sandwiches, and I am still notoriously finicky about them.

16) I hate the taste and texture of real turkey, but love vegetarian smoked turkey substitute. (Perhaps this isn't so surprising, since my parents were vegetarian when I was a child.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Good play!

Got any links you like on liturgic dance? I'm all kinds of curious. Though not so much about the camo/holographic thing. Err, what?

I cheat at solitaire too. :) And I want a hybrid so very, very badly. On the up side, by following the more sane of he hypermiler stuff, I've gotten the mileage on my car from under thirty miles a gallon to averaging over thirty-five.

6/13/2007 12:17 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

an article on dance as liturgy that I liked. Practically no one had heard of it when I was a kid, and the outfits that are now available weren't there, then. We incorporated it mostly into the more joyous aspects of worship, and I was one of 3 girls trained in the dance - which was basically modern dance.

6/13/2007 1:08 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Oh, and it looks like you get more hits if you search on liturgical dance, though it's interesting to note that I am now the top link for "liturgic dance" in google.

Essentially, it can be done well, and it can be done badly, and one thing I liked about the article above was that it was pretty realistic about that.

6/13/2007 1:10 PM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

I can Charleston. It's the only dance I can do that's not square dancing (which, after all, is really only walking in the direction the caller tells you to go). I learned in 6th grade when we studied the 1920's.

And, in reference to #7--memorize away. I can't play and read music at the same time, anyway. Life is easier if you do one and then the other rather than try them both at once. And, for the record, old-time musicians consider written music to be a tragic last-resort situation.

6/14/2007 9:41 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Thanks for the link -- I'll have to poke around and see what else I can find. I think I'd like to see if theres a local church that does it, too, and go and _see_ what it's about.

6/14/2007 11:58 AM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

Oh, and I keep my historical recipe links here.

6/15/2007 8:33 AM  
Blogger Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

I love reading the lists of 8 (and 16). I belly danced for years and would have willingly square danced had I known any one that did. It is such a contrast to the other. I would have been content to bring my lunch to work and not eat the crap out had only someone made it for me. LOL. I envy anyone who can cook and make it taste good.

6/20/2007 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home