Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Tiny Pretty Things: One Deep Breath

This weekend, I finally got the camping trip I'd been looking forward to for so long. Even including the heavy thunderstorm on Saturday night, it was lovely. There was a hummingbird that regularly visited the campsite, feeding at delicate orange flowers around the site (and double checking anything red in our gear - you never know, it could be meant for hummingbirds.) There was a really fat chipmunk that had made its burrow right next to the laundry line support that the park had set up, and there was a little skunk that drifted through the campsite at night to be sure that we hadn't perhaps left some skunk treats out. On the last night, he expressed his displeasure with our habit of cleaning up carefully after dinner by moving one of my sandals - although, to be fair, said sandals were under my tent's vestibule, next to a wild grapevine, so he could have been trying to get to a dropped grape.

Red Daddy Longlegs
Crawls over the tent at dusk
Looking for dinner...

Slim green walking stick
Strikes a vogue on my sandals

Black and white surprise
Waddles through campsites, wild trails
Looking for dinner.
Will he get chocolate chips
Or wild sweet concord grapes?

Iridescent green
Dancing in the morning breeze,
Drinking sweet nectar
Flicks invisible wings
To dance away again.

Tiny round head
Peeks out from the ground
Then is gone again
Doesn't anyone here
want to give me a treat?

Sunlight on purple
Round fat sweet grape bunches
Forest jewels.

Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Roswila said...

Slim green walking stick
Strikes a vogue on my sandals

Love it!

8/29/2007 10:05 AM  
Blogger Sherri B. said...

These are wonderful! I can read them and feel as if I was right there at that campsite. Thank you for sharing. :~)

8/29/2007 11:44 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

thanks for your poetic description of your trip. I just love the fat chipmunk...

8/29/2007 12:38 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Great descriptions and the prelude to the haiku was very nice!

8/29/2007 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes - oh I can't decide. I love them all.

8/30/2007 10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, flicks invisible wings - the whole piece is grand.

8/30/2007 10:33 AM  
Blogger jem said...

A great way to capture the memories of your trip. I feel I have seen it more vividly through these than any photos you could show!

8/31/2007 7:22 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Thank you all. I really enjoyed the trip, and while I got some pictures, the camera isn't well suited to taking pictures of moving targets, so our neigbors escaped photography while we were there.

8/31/2007 8:07 AM  
Blogger get zapped said...

Lovely summer haiku of small things. Thanks for sharing your wonderful camping adventure!

8/31/2007 8:41 AM  
Blogger simon said...

well written, interesting, and beautiful blog.
I thought about including a link to your site on my blog.

if you ever get the chance, come visit me back

Best,
Simon

my blog is www.BrawnyHunk.com (not nearly as superficial as it sounds ;-) )

9/20/2007 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home