Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Monday, August 06, 2007

Evening: One Deep Breath

Canoe glides softly
Into evening eddies
Tired.

Last bird calls echo
Crickets begin to sing
Evening in the hills

Mosquito lands
Ripples of water
Trout's dinner

Deck in the woods
Banjo in my hands
Evening whispers

This weekend, I went back to the hills to visit my parents and canoe down the same river I canoed down countless times as a child. I brought my sketchbook, but somehow just didn't even open it, preferring to sit out on the deck with my banjo, sometimes playing softly, but more often just watching the life of the woods around me.

On Saturday, we debated on whether to give up on the canoeing expedition and just go for a walk in the woods, but recommitted to the 7 mile paddle and headed off to the canoe livery, not getting there until the afternoon, and finding ourselves waiting. No problem: we watched the goats in a nearby pen wiggling through to get to the feedbox until our name was called, then headed upriver with a trailer of canoes.

Then we decided to explore a rock formation on public lands partway down the river, and lazily drifted for some of the trip. When we arrived near the end of the trip, I was exhausted, but happy. After my shower, as everyone else got ready for dinner, I again sat with my banjo in the gathering dusk.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Rae Trigg said...

Lovely images in your haiku; beautiful descriptions of evening in the country.

8/06/2007 12:12 PM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

sounds like a lovely evening!

8/07/2007 1:11 AM  
Blogger Sherri B. said...

It sounds absolutely beautiful...I just loved your haikus.

8/07/2007 5:49 AM  
Blogger Greggo said...

sounds very peaceful; i wish i was there!

8/07/2007 6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your evening. I can feel the serenity in your haiku. A place that is special to you and full of fond memories.

8/07/2007 6:24 AM  
Blogger Clare said...

You painted such a beautiful painting with your words -- lovely banjo music too! I really felt the canoe gliding in the water and felt the air around me filled with crickets and mosquitoes. Really nice!!
:)

8/07/2007 8:43 AM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Ah, so calming! Lovely words and imagery.

8/07/2007 9:05 AM  
Blogger Roswila said...

Deck in the woods
Banjo in my hands
Evening whispers

Something very evocative about this one...as if we are all in much larger hands. :-) Nice.

8/07/2007 12:33 PM  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

Very bucolic and peaceful poetry.

8/07/2007 11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so lovely. Now these speak my language for sure! Thank you for letting us share in a small way your trip down the river.

8/08/2007 7:53 AM  
Blogger Patois42 said...

I can hear your banjo in your haiku and, of course, in your description of what I'd consider to be a perfect summer day.

8/09/2007 2:23 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

I can't remember the last time I heard someone play the banjo

8/13/2007 4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home