Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

5-string goodness

Woot! A couple weeks ago, I managed "Skip to My Lou" as a duet, but figured it would be a while yet on "Polly Wolly Doodle". Last night, I clumsily made it though a duet of "Polly Wolly Doodle" as well as another of "Skip to My Lou". *Happy dance*

And I have a new song to run my finger through the music as I repeat the sounds to myself - I can't remember not being able to read and learning, but I'm beginning to get an inkling of how hard that process sometimes can be (Wait, no, that's a B and this is a G... B, B, G... Oops, no, A... Wait, is this an F sharp here?) I'm still working out what the notes *are*, never mind trying to say this is a half and this is a quarter and this is a dotted eighth. I was proud of myself last night for catching my own mistakes by saying "that doesn't look right for that note" and figuring it out. Not, mind you, proud because I read it well, but because I did it at all.

And now, I have "Oh, Suzannah", or at least the first few bars to work out on the banjo.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We plan on hosting some pickin' evenings (I'll be playing fiddle) this Fall. I sure wish you could come join us all.

9/06/2007 7:38 PM  
Blogger Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Sounds like you are having fun learning to play! Enjoy!!!

9/06/2007 9:14 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

QP, I wish I could come, too, if only to listen and watch and learn... (Though I'd be willing to give weary fingers a rest with a folktale or two...)

Though, woot! Last night, I got up the courage to actually try picking out Oh, Susannah... and the second try actually sounded like the song.

And yes, Michelle, I am very much having fun learning to play. Thank you.

9/07/2007 7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the storytelling would add so much to our evenings. Drat those miles.

9/07/2007 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home