Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Back on track with the banjo

Well, for those following along: we've got our car back, almost as good as new. (I could have done without the "new car" scent bomb, however.)

And yesterday, I threw the banjo in the backseat and headed to lessons. Last week and the week before had been difficult - I was still nearly shaking from the accident the week before, and my skills were therefore not at their sharpest... Last week was better, but still not even remotely close to where I had been. Then last night, not only did I make a major breakthough in sight reading - as in, I could actually read the notes as I went, but I also smoothed out a passage that had been rough *before* the accident. So I was playing better - not just catching up to where I'd been before, and that felt so incredibly good. Also, I played the scales just a smidge faster, I think, and kept that little jump between the E and the F sharp smooth.

And I requested "Red River Valley" to learn soon - telling the story of singing it with my dad while he was stationed in Iraq. Not only requested it, but actually sang it - with another human being not actually related to me in the same room. And just as I finished singing, the rain came. I drove home carefully on the rain slick streets, singing as I went.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am simply nodding my head and smiling. Very neat, isn't it?

10/10/2007 7:18 PM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

Yay!

BTW, I'm watching a doll-sized--Jeannie-sized--banjo on eBay. Ha ha!

10/11/2007 9:46 AM  
Blogger ef said...

That's awesome! I can't imagine being able to sight read. oooo

10/12/2007 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home