Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

More insurance updating

Because I do drive to get to my banjo lessons, and a friend is having a birthday party tonight, I've got a rental. On the good side, it isn't the SUV they threatened me with at first. On the bad side, I've had inflatable rafts with better handling. I'm sounding pitiful here, I know, but I want my little import back.

Heck, just give me a daily rental allowance and I'll use it towards a Zipcar, a car sharing program that has little cars scattered in parking spaces around town, rentable in segments as short as an hour, or as long as a regular rental, I suppose. I still have a membership, and they have cars that aren't bathtubs with wheels. Since I wouldn't be renting a car just to park it someplace for days on end, I bet I could even save the insurance company some money. I also wouldn't be nearly as grumpy about the rental, feeling I had some more control over the situation.

UPDATE: I turned the rental in. It had some kind of noise going on, the brakes were slushy, I just didn't feel safe in it, so I turned it in, and the insurance company has given me the go-ahead for car sharing, provided the cost doesn't go above a particular level. Fine by me. I've got a car share reserved for my banjo lesson tonight, and we'll go from there. I'm considering reserving a Civic to take Craig to a star party on Saturday...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zipcar sounds very cool! What we need out here in MT are more trains for passengers. One used to be able to hop a train into Missoula from down the road a bit. That was before my day, however.

9/27/2007 8:12 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

It is very cool. I spent a couple minutes lost, but found someone who looked like she'd know where the Zipcar was, and she did. After that, I got to drive an actual quality car for the couple hours that I needed one, put it back in its spot next to an off-campus housing tower, and walked back home, my banjo slung over my shoulder. No worries about parking it overnight and if someone else needed it that night - say for a midnight coffee run over to the Perk, all they had to do was sign up for it on the schedule, then take their card out to activate it.

And it was a good quality, fuel efficient car. With zip. On Saturday, we've got another rental for heading to a star party - same kind as last night, but the nearest one open was one train station down.

9/28/2007 6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home