Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Monday, October 15, 2007

Sadness in the craft store

I like to create. I like to write stories and poems. I like to do art - drawing, painting, even sculpture. I even like to cook. And I really, really like to make things with string - sewing, weaving, knitting, crochet, braiding...

So I wind up going into craft stores. I prefer it when I can go into little craft stores, but a big one is a block from my office, and I really, really wanted a larger crochet hook for the baby washcloth. So I stopped in. And headed straight back to the fiber arts section, without even *looking* at the Japanese papers. But once I had gotten my hook from the corner it was hidden in (what *is* it that the knitting stuff is featured prominantly, but you've got to be Sherlock Holmes to crochet?) I found myself looking around at the yarn. And that was when I spotted it.

Camo yarn with *pink*. I mean, it's not like I don't know how camouflage yarn could be used: I spent a while looking for wool yarn that was sand colored a little less than a year ago. But the only possible use I can think of for pink camo is to say to kids Isn't this Cool? Don't you want to have Cool stuff, and be patriotic? And what's more patriotic than signing up for whatever dumb war we get into this week?

*sigh*

Boy, am I glad I'm not going to have to go back for a little while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home