Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Excuse me?

The New York Times has an article on those of us fools and nutcases who would prefer to see less waste over the holidays. It is, of course, presented as those austere green grinches verses the merry traditionalists.

*sigh*

My er... favorite part of the article is the characterization of a "call for less excessive consumption during the holidays" as "un- American". Oy.

For the record, my gifts, mostly homemade, all in reusable bags or containers, are also ones that I think the recipients will enjoy. For those who can't or shouldn't have sweets, I'll be roasting cashews with spices and including a card with the recipe. Frankly, small gifts of handmade candy rarely wind up in the trash. And since I'm putting the effort in, anyway, I can personalize the gifts with little additional work: an initial worked in a crocheted cloth is not difficult, once you've already decided to do the cloth. Nor is choosing colors that the person enjoys to begin with. And I don't think the recipient of that gift will be tossing it, either.

And apparantly, they ran a different version of the same story last year. Come on, people, this isn't difficult. (And just a hint: it's a good idea to turn the thermostat down during parties, because lots of people in a small space generate plenty of heat. It gets warm fast if you don't.)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Little Black Car said...

Oh, I think they publish this kind of thing every year.

I'm sick of being forced to choose: I either have to buy my mother a gold-plated Lexus or I have to donate ten years of my life at the soup kitchen in her name. Why the extremes? Can't it be OK to do small, personal gifts and not go overboard? I thought the point of gifts was not just giving somebody stuff, but giving them something that expressed your interest in them as an individual and cherished friend/family member.

We're going to my brother's house near Colonial Williamsburg this year, which is pretty much gift enough by itself. We never travel over the holidays, so this is a big deal.

From me, Mom is getting a brown pelican stuffed animal That sounds utterly ridiculous for a 59-year-old woman except that she loves brown pelicans and we decorate our Christmas tree with birds and woodland animals.

Okay, I'll get off the soap-box now. Sorry. Feeling a little holiday bombarded right now.

12/05/2007 11:50 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

I get my mom dolphin stuff, including the occasional stuffed dolphin, so I'm in no place to comment.

While my husband and I just celebrated finding a compact fluorescent bulb for the last bulb we wanted to replace (the 3-way lamp where I like to sit and craft) and thus our apartment now is totally converted, I can't imagine giving the bulbs as gifts, except to a friend who noted that she had wanted a 3-way herself.

I admit, I tend to give food gifts to those who will eat them, simply because it's easier, but very few people will turn down homemade cream caramels, fudge, and glazed chocolate dipped fruit.

12/05/2007 12:17 PM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

Food gifts are great. Dad always gets cherry cordials (not homemade, but eh). And we always make pancakes for Christmas breakfast. Uh, lunch. Whatever.

12/05/2007 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home