Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Friday, December 28, 2007

Some fuel tips

Over at Country Contemplative, Don talks about the burden of rising gas prices on the poor. And later in a comment, he says, "People making $100,000 a year are inconvenienced by $4 and $5 per gallon gasoline. People making half that much and less are crucified with those prices. The poor don’t get to drive hybrids. "

Even if you add my husband's income to mine, we still do not make even close to $100K/year, but we do drive a hybrid, the Honda Civic Hybrid - the savings on gas is actually worth it, despite some media assertions to the contrary. We bought used, and the difference between ours and an equivalent non-hybrid was about $1500. Because of the efficiency guage, I am able to improve my own fuel use and teach myself to drive with more awareness of my use of resources. Our old car had been paid off, but the savings on gas from the old car pays over half our car payment. (and that's with older, lower gas prices.)

But I'd also remind folks that it's not necessary to drive a hybrid to conserve fuel - smaller cars use less fuel than larger cars (and are often less expensive) And combining errands not only conserves fuel, but also time.

Wait to start the car until after you've put on your seat belt, settled yourself in, and released the parking brake.

Turn off the engine when you get where you're going. When you idle, you're getting 0 mpg.

Go a little slower and be more considerate of other drivers. When you leave a generous stopping distance, you're not constantly alternating between the accelerator and the brake and your milage goes up.

Don't step on the accelerator if the next light is red. Why speed up to a red light only to have to stop?

Cultivate a "feather foot" on the accelerator.

Carpool, take public transit, walk, bike when you can. The lowest tech bike beats the highest tech hybrid on carbon emissions every time. Plus, you get to meet people.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

I'm glad I've stimulated a discussion about fuel prices even if I was a bit hyperbolic about income. I drive a four cylinder car and it doesn't get the fuel economy I would like, but at least it conserves a bit. I don't drive at 65 mph on interstates, I choose instead to drive at 60 mph. I do get better mileage. Thanks for the link and maybe we can encourage some conservation.

12/28/2007 9:13 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

I hope so. And perhaps begin to look at the ways that we systemically take from the poor (and even the not-so-poor) to give to the ultra-rich.

12/28/2007 10:16 AM  
Blogger Quiet Paths said...

This is a very timely post. We have altered our own driving habits quite a bit lately. We don't have a fuel efficiency gauge on our Honda, but each time one uses the brakes and then speeds up quickly - well, that is something we try to avoid. Thank you.

12/29/2007 8:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I found this helpful article when i was searching for how much does it cost to ship a car but after this, i changed my driving habits and I think now i drive more safely.

10/30/2012 10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home