Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Scent - One single Impression

I stand next to the whiteboard,
marker in my hand,
a faint whiff of solvent,
like old, purple-blue dittoes
still damp.

Memories rise up from the chalkboard,
as I sponge away today's lesson
carried in the dry scent
of wet chalk
and slate.

Standing here, beginning my day
preparing the classroom
I am both student and teacher,
child and adult,
remembering.

For more scent poetry, check out One single Impression

7 Comments:

Blogger gabrielle said...

erasing the lessons and beginning anew. the scent of mimeograph permeates.

7/26/2009 10:55 PM  
Anonymous Bobbie said...

Oh this takes me back!! LOVED the smell of school, of chalkboards.. Great writing!

7/27/2009 5:08 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

purple-blue dittoes - woo - those words bring back the scent and about 7 years of memories. Nice work!

7/27/2009 8:37 PM  
Blogger Tammie Lee said...

the smell and sound of chalk is full of memories. My heart leans forward in the teacher being both student and teacher, how wonderful.

Spirithelpers

7/28/2009 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Pam said...

I felt like you are erasing the present and uncovering the past with each swipe. I never thought of the solvent smell of the whiteboard markers being like the dittos. Nicely written.

7/30/2009 4:35 AM  
Blogger SandyCarlson said...

Well done. You sure do get at the temporary nature of what the teacher does. And how the senses are really heightened during the day.

7/31/2009 4:43 PM  
Anonymous if said...

that is nice !

8/01/2009 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home