Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Like Thee, Hannah!, I'm having one of those days where there isn't much good to say other than my lunch is great. Plowman's lunch as sandwich- Branston pickle, reasonably sturdy bread, cheddar so sharp it's probably banned. And I even packed the pickle (a mixed veggie and date pickle spread) in one of those condiment cups I saved from the last time we ate Chinese takeout.

And carrying a discussion from The Crate, why in the world are we sticking with a size system for women's clothing that has no relationship whatsoever to our actual size? In the same issue of the express as contained the hideous silver and gold dirndl this morning there was an article on how sizing varies greatly from store to store, leaving sizing to vary so markedly that a 6 and a 14 might fit the same person, depending on what store they come from. I pretty much sew my own, so it doesn't affect me quite so much, but the very fact that there is no actual standard associated with sizes makes me even less likely to change that decision any day soon.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what your talking about. I guy just about all of the clothes used andther is a huge difference in the sizes I get. i have a pair of size 10 pants that fit looser than most of my 12's do

9/27/2006 8:26 AM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

I'm for a waist/hip/length size system myself. Size 12 means nothing. Size 26/38/32 tells you what you want to know. Men do it, right? We just need that waist-hip thing since we aren't usually as straight.

10/02/2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Add in bust size, and I'm there. (I say, knowing there was something like a 10-size difference in the bust and waist measurements of the first formal gown I ever owned. The seamstress had to take a plus size gown and totally remake the bodice. On the plus side, I got a really full skirt out of the deal...)

10/02/2006 5:26 PM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

Of course. Sorry, I was thinking only about my battles with pants. But yes, bust size needs to be a factor, too.

10/04/2006 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home