Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A muddle

I'd like to urge everybody to go check out my latest link, Amy's Head, and in particular her open letter. She's already lost someone very special to the war and has got some good stuff to say about the suffering we're causing by this conflict.

I'm tired, tired of this war, tired of waking up in the middle of the night wondering how my dad is doing, tired of clinging to a short note promising a longer letter that hasn't arrived, tired of wondering why my dad who's a much needed physician in a seriously underserved area is going for a second time while the president's daughters who don't seem to help anyone, including their own livers, haven't gone once. Let's face it: I'm pooped.

Thank goodness for my husband, who has thus far put up pretty well with my restless sleep pattern, and has worked to keep me going. Even if he does volunteer me to make latkes. Thank goodness for my friends who are helping me through this. Thank goodness for the ability to write about it, to get it out there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

Linked here from a comment you made on "Amy's Head".

I know how you feel. My son just returned from this war and occupation of lies. It was his second tour of duty. 27 months total. He will soon be out of the military, but I will continue the fight to bring our troops home.

Hang in there.

I'd like to add you to my blogroll.

12/20/2006 7:42 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Welcome!

It's tough, waiting here, not knowing when I'll hear anything, hoping that I won't get a sudden visit from my husband at work. (My mom has told me that if anything happens, her first call will be to him so I won't be alone when I hear what's happened.)

Congratulations to your son on getting out, and I wish him all the best in making that transition back to civilian life. This is my father's second tour, too, and I think the second tour has been harder than the first. For starters, it's gonna be nearly twice the length, and secondly, I saw how he came back the first time.

Add away, and thank you.

Even when their war ends, we'll still have the wounds to work on.

12/20/2006 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home