Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Monday, March 12, 2007

A lovely dinner

When I stopped at House of Musical Traditions for my banjo supplies, I planned the trip to coincide with the local farmer's market, and arranged to meet a friend to go grocery shopping with us. And tonight, I definitely reaped the benefit of that decision. Mmmm. Fried green tomatoes, with a mustard gravy, microgreens in a light viniagrette, crumby rich cheddar, creamy vermeer, and a hearty sourdough, all fresh and all local.

Oh, and just a bit of maple fudge for dessert.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lorcan said...

We used to have a "House of Musical Traditions" as a tenent in our building... Hank ( I think) Levine

Wonder if the fellow who runs this store worked with our old friend?
Cheers
lor

3/12/2007 8:54 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

I don't know. I do know that HMT is a really big part of the local acoustic music scene around the District, and carries the widest range of instruments I've seen. (They even have those cool percussion frogs with the spine on their back.) And unlike the much blander music store near my office, they actually know what their stock *is* and how to use it.

When I walked into the one near my office, it was not confidence inspiring to hear the manager grumping about the instructors, nor to be ignored as I wander, clearly without a clue, for 15 minutes, waiting for him to be ready to wait on a customer, and finally to be told, yeah, they got banjo strings - wait a minute. So he dives under the counter and comes up with a dusty shoebox which contains a variety of stuff, including 1 packet of the wrong kind of banjo strings. Um, no thanks.

So HMT is a little less convenient to get to - 3 stops and a transfer by Metro, plus a short hike, but at least they know what they're doing and what I'm talking about, even if I don't know, which is comforting. Besides, percussion frogs are so fun looking.

3/13/2007 5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home