Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Breath

Many forms of meditation encourage us to be aware of our breathing.

Breathe the good air in.

Blow out the old air.

Breathe the good air in.

Feel the air moving through your lungs, giving life to your body, carried by your blood to every bit of you. Just as a fish is submerged in life-giving water, so we are submerged in life-giving air. We feel the spring breezes and the harsh winter winds. We cough and gasp when the air is polluted, and breathe deep when it is fresh.

From ancient times, the notion of breath and the notion of Spirit have been intertwined. Indeed, the word "spirit" comes from the Latin root word, "spiritus", breath, respiration. And from this root also comes the word "inspiration". We are infused with spirit, with breath, and from there, we create. And the really marvellous part of this is that each of us is individual - while we all breathe the same air, we each have a different way of living in our world, different expressions of our inspiration.

I believe that sometimes that Inspiring Breath is moving like a wind over the world and each of us tries to express that movement as best we can, in whatever way we can, whether in words, paint, actions, a smile...

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

Thank you. I needed to read that tonight. I believe that the Ruach is breath. I read at one time that Ruach was feminine and I believe that we need more of that feminine breath in our world.

5/02/2007 7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great timing for your post. I've been trying to start meditating and it's not nearly as easy as I would have assumed. Breathing can be so hard!
Thanks

5/02/2007 7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a good reminder that we are our breath - inside and out. A beautiful concept. May we be open to the breath...spirit.

5/03/2007 9:47 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Welcome, Jodi!

I'm glad you both found this entry useful. I had been discussing how sometimes, it seems that a particular idea can strongly present itself to more than one person at a time and here again, the wind has blown through each of us in our own ways.

Peace.

5/03/2007 10:19 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

QP, one of the things I love best about going outside is the way I can feel the wind and the movement of the air. Similarly, I love the strong feel of the ocean sucking at my legs when I go wading into it. I think the wind and the waves are reminders of the power of this marvellous planet that we live on, reminders that we, too are part of the interconnected cycle, part of the air and part of the water and part of the earth.

5/03/2007 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home