Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Justice delayed

The rabbis say that strife came into the world because of justice delayed and justice denied. And there isn't much there that I want to argue with. But when justice does come, even delayed, I believe it is cause for celebration. Today, we have exactly such a case. While I am not happy about more gravestones, I am happy that families of Wiccan soldiers may now put the symbol of their loved one's religion on the headstone. About time.

What this still does not answer is why the VA feels the need to limit what religious symbols may be placed on a headstone. As I have said before, it is none of the government's business if someone's religion happens to be 3rd Reformed Brethren and Sistren of the Great Pumpkin (Smith Patch Convocation - also called the "True Linusians") . Frankly, we're doing enough to our soldiers that if one wanted to have the symbol of "the finger" on their gravestone, I'd back 'em up.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Little Black Car said...

Ooh--let's petition for a Sistren of the Great Pumpkin symbol!

I'm with you: They're all in this mess together. It's nobody else's business WHAT they want on their grave markers. This shouldn't even be an issue.

4/24/2007 9:56 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Actually, I don't want to be in the position of being able to submit a petition, thanks.

But I wonder what other symbols have been requested. It would totally fail to surprise me to hear that someone wanted the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

4/24/2007 10:47 AM  
Blogger Don said...

I like the idea of the finger. That might be a fitting symbol when the time comes.

4/24/2007 1:02 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

I've said for a long time that what I want is a bench, someplace for folks to sit down and take a load off. An obnoxious limerick carved into it would make it perfect.

4/24/2007 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home