Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tuesday is music night

I and my newly acquired "Skip to My Lou" skills will be headed for banjo lessons tonight, where I hope to learn the next couple of bars, and possibly the end bars. (The 3rd set of 2 bars is the same as the first.) Over the weekend, once again, my family got to share some long distance music - this time my three chords and the beginning of "Skip to My Lou", which I hope to have mastered by the time Dad comes home. (He has his travel orders to come home. Woot!)

UPDATE: Well, I did it. Played it through, though now I've got to get the hard parts on the same rhythm as the easy bits.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

That's great. I'm envious. I tried a guitar once but couldn't get the hang of it. I love the sound of a banjo. I hope you enjoy yourself.

4/24/2007 12:56 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

I was, as a girl, once told by a choir director that God didn't need to hear my off-tune voice, and it took years for me (and someone else who had noticed me lip synching in church telling me that God was missing my voice) to realize that I could too sing, even if it was off tune, so when I won a banjo, I decided to learn. So far, it's been a great adventure and I have a wonderfully patient instructor who dealt with enormous grace with my inability to learn the scales in one lesson.

And I've promised my dad that I will work toward learning "Red River Valley," his favorite song for the banjo. When he gets back, though, I may ask him to also learn it for his folk guitar so we can do a duet.

4/24/2007 1:30 PM  
Blogger the laughing gypsy said...

Huzzah for the travel papers! Skip to My Lou indeed! And there will be much rejoicing....

4/25/2007 7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home