Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Musical progress

It felt for the last week as though I were getting nowhere. The same 8 bars of music, over and over again, trying to smooth out the fingerings and the timing. And again... no, let's try those last 4 bars again, now all eight... And again...

And it began to come together. So today, I sat down with my instructor and tried to play, but tripped over my own fingers at the end. The second time, however, it worked - it actually sounded like a song. And then, on to the new: two new chords, 3 new timing drills, and, oh by the way, how are those G scales going? Whoof.

And a further admonition: work with what goes well, and take note of what's hard to master. And to add to the whole thing, I'm headed back home this weekend, so I'll have to squeeze in my practice where I can. My reward? A new song next week.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes it is good to take a short break and then go back after a couple of days. You can still do finger exercises on the kitchen table! don't give up!

5/09/2007 12:21 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

When I've finally made enough progress to actually play a song? Not hardly. The banjo can sit in the back seat on the trip, and I'll practice when we're at the house.

I'll probably end up taking a break on Monday, anyway, just to catch up on sleep.

5/09/2007 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home