Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

New eyes

Sometimes, there's a real joy in seeing the world through someone else's eyes. I've lived pretty much all of my life east of the Mississippi, and am accustomed to the wet climate here, so it was a wonderful change to get to see the spring through the eyes of someone who grew up in a somewhat less humid and definitely cooler climate out west.

She was amazed at the profusion of flowers here, the sheer variety of them, the warmth of our springs, and the deep green of the foliage. Looking at a stand of trees with borrowed eyes, I noticed how even a small group of them was a solid block of leaves that couldn't be seen through.

And I wonder, with what eyes can we see opportunities to grow together, to lessen the hatred and violence that our world is currently deep in? Where can we see the blossoming of hope?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I spent some time, yesterday, talking to a woman from Colorado about the first time she saw the ocean, in Florida. Beachfront hotel room and when she opened the curtains that night she almost couldn't breathe -- it was so dark. And then the noise of the ocean helped her sleep so deeply she missed her meeting the next morning...

I grew up going to the shore every year, and so all of this was just life, for me. Hearing her talk about it made me wish I too could go to the ocean for the first time again.

5/05/2007 1:53 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Ah, thank you. I am remembering the dark of the ocean, and the lovely line of the waves coming so high on the beach. The shush-shush as they come in...

5/05/2007 10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New eyes, new senses: I will never forget the evening I met the south Pacific ocean in Kauai. It was very dark when we arrived at the motel and the beach was right there. I stumbled into the water by sound only and the ocean was so very warm! It was a true sensation. Incredible. Exotic. That was a first I will always remember as we always visit the northern Pacific in WA state.

5/06/2007 8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home