Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Back from Adventuring

I'm back safe, despite a small misadventure along the way.

Last week, I found out that my mom was going to get recognized for the work she has done in promoting rural healthcare, so I arranged to take some time off and drove back home with my husband. During my time there, I also attended the formal welcoming home of my Dad's National Guard unit, and was asked to accompany him as he received his standing down order. (Woot! he's offically home!) While I found some aspects of the ceremony disturbing, this time the ceremony did not include a sermon and was held in a school rather than a church.

Right after coming home from that ceremony, we headed off to another town, for my mom's recognition. Whew! Luckily, the town was one I was well familiar with, having met my husband there when we both attended the same university. We all ate at a favorite haunt - locally sourced organic foods (with really tasty fair trade hot cocoa.) There's just something *about* the beans and rice platter there. Mmmm. And then stayed at the brand new hotel right on the edge of town.

While my parents were busy meeting with some people about rural health care innovations the next morning, my husband and I went to the library and talked with someone I'd once worked with back when I was a student, and offered to help another student who wants to come out East. And then we dropped in on one of my favorite professors, who was totally flabbergasted to see me again - I'd been among her first students, and we caught up a little, then spent some time visiting with some other professors from the department.

And then got to attend the rubber chicken dinner for my mom. (Couldn't we please have a different default for boring awards dinners? It seems like they always serve overdone chicken, usually with some peppers on the plate. *sigh*) Then drove back to my parents' place. (Where we had the local pizza. And, even better, the salad with my favorite dressing. Mmmmm.)

Finally, yesterday, we started to head back here and made it most of the way home before being involved in a fender-bender a couple miles from the apartment. *sigh* Both my husband and I are fine, as is the driver of the van that hit us, but now the trunk on the hybrid won't close. The crumple zones did what they are supposed to do and sacrificed themselves for the greater good, but it was definitely a scary experience. The car is drivable, but we have to wait for insurance to tell us what do do about the back.

12 Comments:

Blogger Little Black Car said...

My cousin's upcoming wedding had the choice of "apple-glazed" chicken. I want to think that sounds good--there's a pizza place here that specialized in chicken-with-apple sausage that is out of this world--but, knowing their tastes, I have this image of chicken mummified in canned apple-pie filling.

His sister had salad with raspberry vinaigrette at her wedding ten years ago. It tasted like raspberry jam diluted with vinegar. Blargh.

9/20/2007 8:48 AM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

Oh, and I'm sorry to hear about your car, but hopefully they can fix it all right. My mother got rear-ended pretty badly a few months ago in her new RAV-4. It bent the bumper down at about a 45-degree angle. The other guy's insurance paid for it, though, and now you can't tell it was hit (the guy that hit her was rubbernecking at another fender-bender. And he'd been drinking. Nice).

9/20/2007 8:51 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

This bent everything inward - so now the trunk won't latch. To this layman, it looks like 3 panels that were damaged. *sigh*

This guy was sober, but was watching the traffic that I was trying to merge into and not watching me. We both saw that a lane was going to be safe at exactly the same moment, I think, and he just assumed I'd already gone.

It didn't help that he was in a behemoth and I was in a Civic. And then we got tailgated on the way home by some jerk in a truck. That was frightening.

This time it was rubber chicken with salsa on top and a side of sauteed peppers. When I asked for no peppers due to an allergy, they managed boiled potatoes and plain rubber chicken. I took the lemon for my water and did my best, but well...

It made it worse that I knew there was a really great gyro truck only a couple blocks away. With custom lemon shake-ups, too. And the owner's wife makes buckeyes (a type of peanut butter and chocolate candy) for sale, as well.

9/20/2007 9:43 AM  
Blogger the laughing gypsy said...

Welcome home! I'm glad you're safe. Despite the inconvenience, crumpled cars can be fixed. Far better than the alternative!

9/20/2007 9:46 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Oh, I'm glad the car crumpled and protected us. Actually, my parents had just bought the 2007 model of the same car, and I was able to assure them that the safety features definitely work!

9/20/2007 10:04 AM  
Blogger Rae Trigg said...

I'm glad you two are OK. I'm sorry to hear about your car. Unfortunately, this mudpit of a metro area is prone to drivers not paying attention (or driving like psychopaths). Were you guys at least able to get a police report?

9/20/2007 10:33 AM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

I make buckeyes! Much better than Reese's, any day.

9/20/2007 10:49 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

The police told us that since both cars were driveable and noone appeared to be seriously hurt, we should exchange information and get out of the way of others who might want to use that intersection. The insurance lady told me that they usually do that rather than go to all the accidents in a large metro area.

9/20/2007 11:49 AM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

That's generally what happens around here, too. That's what happened with Mom and with me when I hit those Mormons years ago. I assume y'all have laws, like we do, about clearing stalled or wrecked vehicles ASAP, when possible, to keep roads open?

9/20/2007 1:52 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

*hugs* I'm just glad you're both okay. Hope things get settled soon and you can have your like-new car back!

9/21/2007 8:39 PM  
Blogger ef said...

I'm so glad you're okay!

Insurance is a pain.

I was involved in a paint-scraping thing in June, and it's still not resolved. I never every would have submitted a claim, but the other woman had a big SUV and was all freaked about it. sigh.

9/25/2007 8:45 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

I didn't make much impression on his van, but he sure made an impression on my car. *sigh* It's more expensive if I go through my insurance, but it's taking awhile to go through his. I could wait for the rest of it, but I really want to be able to close my trunk, so that the trunk light will go off and not drain the battery.

9/25/2007 11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home