Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Friday, September 21, 2007

*sigh*

And now, I get to dance the Insurance Jig.

I'd rather be dancing the Kentucky Waltz, but there you are. I've talked with my insurance company and the insurance company for the van that hit me. I've learned where (once I have permission to do so) I may take my poor Civic.

And I've been taking public transit to work. On the upside, it's not too hot and not too cold right now, and the trees are pretty, and I get to read on my way to work... But I'm so tired when I do get home that it's a bit of a pain to make dinner. *sigh* I've gotten seriously spoiled, I'm afraid. (Not to mention that my spending on gas is somewhat lower than the cost of a train ticket every day.)

All of which has left me daydreaming about not having to commute. That tiny house with the little office and an internet connection looks more and more attractive every day... Particularly in a town with no rush hour. Where I could have a yard, and access to forestland. It was particularly galling to realize that some condos around here have higher downpayments than the total cost of a cabin on a couple acres (with approved septic) back home. Ouch.

6 Comments:

Blogger the laughing gypsy said...

You could always join the myriad other DC commuters out here in wild, wonderful, WV!

BTW, missed you at the Siege of Glengary!

9/24/2007 9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Insurance... boo. But, I'm glad you have it!

9/24/2007 1:35 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Oh, LG, if I move to WV, it won't be to take the long drive to DC. It will be to inform my office that I'll maybe drop in once a month or so, and just do the work by mail. Once I'm back in the hills, it'll take crowbars to get me back out. The idea is to reduce my commute, not expand it.

Christine, I am glad I have insurance (required to drive in this state, in any case), but I'm even happier that he had insurance.

Now, it's down to waiting for the insurance adjustor to get ahold of the other person to confirm that the accident was what I said it was.

9/24/2007 5:32 PM  
Blogger ef said...

OH, commutes are terrible!

Would that work with your job, to "telecommute" - would it work with your husband? (I mean, could he move too, not that you'd telecommute with him!)

I dream of it too, and I've always lived in cities, but it's just too much. I don't even want to telecommute though, I just want to BE THERE

sigh.

9/25/2007 8:38 AM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

Oh, to telecommute. Or even to be able to afford an apartment in a non-scary neighborhood nearer the south side of Houston (if there even is such a thing . . . )

9/25/2007 9:23 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

My job I could telecommute with. My husbands job, not so much. But our apartment doesn't have room for an office, so on with the commute. *sigh* I miss having a short Metro commute.

9/25/2007 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home