Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Moonlight - One Deep Breath

Moonlight shines down,
glazing the lake with diamonds.
Night birds call.

The moon so big
children reach up to take it,
trying to play catch.

Breath glows white
Watchers stamp their feet
Crescent moon sails on.

Whistle blows sadly
Under a winter moon,
the midnight express.

A ghost in the sky,
Opal eyed visitor,
The moon peeks at day.

Beloved,
whisper to me again
by moonlight.

Crescent moon,
a perfect moment is here
to see your valleys.

How did this happen?
Just a cup of tea, outside,
went to take a sip.
How did this get here?
The moon hid in my cup!

Labels: , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger SandyCarlson said...

I think the moon loves to play with us! I wonder what it's like to be the moon with all those children's hands reaching for it! This is a marvelous poem. Thanks.

1/08/2008 8:01 AM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Lovely images of the moon - I'm particularly fond of the fourth one. Whistle's (train) blow has always reminded me of the full moon. Anyway, these are all fun to read and explore.

1/08/2008 9:39 AM  
Blogger Quiet Paths said...

You really were in the zone today, friend. Wow! Hoot! I'll be reading these many times. Thank you.

1/08/2008 10:28 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

All of these are fabulous...it is very hard to pick just one.

I'll go with tumblewords and say the fourth one...just great!

1/08/2008 10:46 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Lovely haiku - I especially like the first and the fourth. Your tanka made me smile!

1/08/2008 12:08 PM  
Blogger get zapped said...

These are wonderful, but I really liked the second one - I've seen the moon so big I thought for sure I could reach out and touch it. Thanks for these!

1/08/2008 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moon in a cup - I like that. Wonderfully done.

1/08/2008 5:37 PM  
Blogger qualcosa di bello said...

you have taken me on a wonderful moonlit journey with these words! is there anything more melancholy than the sound of a train whistle on a moonlit winter night?!

1/09/2008 7:00 AM  
Blogger Roswila said...

Delightful, evocative series. I really like this one:

The moon so big
children reach up to take it,
trying to play catch.

Brings back lots of memories....

1/09/2008 11:46 AM  
Blogger Annie Jeffries said...

What fun it was reading these; all these lovely images of the moon - so recognizable.

1/09/2008 3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this!! Beautiful!

BTW, your plastic grocery bags crocheted into a reusable bag...fantastic idea!

1/11/2008 5:38 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Thank you, everybody.

The train came straight out of my recent train trip. That whistle now reminds both my husband and me of rolling across America, meeting people and watching the landscape unroll before us.

1/11/2008 8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home