Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Monday, December 15, 2008

Excitement

Well, something I've been working on for a bit is finally coming together. I've been working for the last several years as an editor, but recently... well, I've been hungry for more, for something that would feed the soul as well as paying the rent and the groceries. Tonight, I submitted my application to become a student teacher in my local school system.

Now, all that's left for me is to wait for the next few weeks, until I find out whether I have been selected for an interview, and to look into testing times so that I can take the standardized test. I've already reviewed sample questions and am hopeful that I will be accepted into the program. I'm well aware that I've signed up for an insane amount of work - I'll be taking a compressed teaching course over the summer, and then I'll be working for two years for the county, after which, I'll be eligible to begin advanced studies.

I'm so excited about the possibilities. So is my family - my parents have already pledged their support through this, as has my husband, who sat with me through the nerve wracking process of writing my responses to the application questions. (Who would have suspected that I'd be so nervous about writing? Yet there I was, fussing over every word.) And my neighbors have also been told about my intentions and are wishing me luck.

I know more than one educator reads this blog, so if any of y'all have advice, feel free to give it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

AWESOME. Best of luck! I think you're made to teach.

I don't know that I have anything useful to say, but my mom taught for a lot of years, so I have an idea what it takes. I think you'll do well.

12/15/2008 8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No advice, but plenty of best wishes. Sounds like a fantastic fit!

12/16/2008 5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic! The kids will be so lucky to have you as their teacher!I could never be one; but I know some good teachers, and you'd be right up there with the best.

12/16/2008 8:08 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

That's something I've often thought about doing. Keep us posted on how you're liking it. I may not be far behind you!

12/17/2008 8:31 AM  
Blogger Quiet Paths said...

I agree with Kate; I have sensed that teaching is in your blood. You have so much to share. You go woman!

12/17/2008 3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home