Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Still not settled...

But I did manage a really yummy and inexpensive dinner last night - mushroom soup in a sourdough breadbowl with salad greens. Yum. And the soup was made with reasonably fresh crimini.

My current line is that I am owed a vacation to make up for the ones that have been ruined by the shadow of Dad's deployment since this whole mess began. I've lost track of how many, frankly. I just want a normal vacation - maybe some camping in Kentucky with my family. Hot dog roasting and getting Dad to bring his campfire popcorn popper, tall tales and stargazing, renting a canoe and hoping the cheese sandwiches (colby for Mom, sharp cheddar and pickle for me, maybe some Marmite ones as well) don't get too squashed. No wondering if Dad will be getting orders the second we get back, no worrying about the orders he's already got, and (total fantasy now, thanks to the war) no seeing Dad flinch when a big truck goes past. I'd even get up and make the morning hash browns and omelettes. And I am not a morning person.

Perhaps it's my ambivalence about the whole thing that's responsible for the fact that I have yards of material waiting for the final sewing into swimsuits (though I've got the prototype done). Meh. Tonight, I'll take one of my sewing projects with me to the usual craft night and see how far it gets.

Also, I like fall - I like apples, apple cider, pumpkins, pumpkin anything, Halloween, sweaters, shawls, falling leaves, the rustle of squirrels gathering acorns, soup, the slight nip in the air. I feel like I'm leaving my favorite time of the year this year, and I'm going to miss it. It's one thing to head for the tropics in the dreariest part of winter or summer, but I really love the transitional seasons and am disappointed that I won't be here for fall unfolding. From the looks of it, the trees may turn just as I leave.

And I'm feeling like I'm being totally selfish here. Meh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home