Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Whine whine whine

My last few posts have been pretty negative, and it's driving me nuts, too.

Things to look forward to on this trip:

1) A week with my family, including my sister and Granny, whom I don't see too much.

2) I've never been more than a couple hours west of the Mississippi, and now I'll be going to Hawaii. Wow.

3) Fresh pineapple for breakfast. And dessert, and... Both my husband and I like pineapple.

4) I might get to see a volcano, which just sounds totally neat.

5) Even if I don't get to visit Molokai itself, I'll be close. I've always wanted to visit Molokai because of Father Damien, whom I admire a fair bit.

6) I have a new swimsuit that is sun protective and fun looking (It's pink, purple, and blue in a large all-over diamond pattern - a jester's suit, basically, but water-friendly.) And I'm planning some really space looking suits to sew this weekend.

7) At the end of the trip, I'll be seeing a friend I haven't seen since my wedding and really miss.

8) I have some blunt plastic needles and travel disks for three whole days of naalbinding and braiding.

9) Hawaii is supposed to have some truly interesting food.

10) If my banjo's arrived by tonight, I can annoy everyone by practicing...

11) When Mom and I get together, she usually lets me raid her reading stash, and Granny and I also like reading similar stuff...

12) One can tell tall tales on a coastline just as well as in the hills ("I'm telling you, that fish was a clever one...") If there's no canoeing to be done, there will be some snorkelling.

13) I may spot a bento while I'm out there, and that's a souvenir I'd actually use.

14) Telling Oma all about our adventures when we get back.

15) If there aren't too many lights, we could do some star observation of a few things I've never seen before.

16) Flying fish! In 2001, my family quickly arranged a trip to Mexico for the holidays so that we could be sure of having Dad with us for the whole trip. While on a ferry, I was astounded at the boldness of what I thought at first were tropical birds that flew so close to the waves, until I realized they were fish gliding from wave to wave. Truly, one of the miracles of creation. I could just sit and watch flying fish for hours.

17) I plan to bring a little bit of origami paper with me to use in the airports and airplanes. It's amazing how much cheering up other people can make your day better. And maybe I'll find a little bit more paper there.

18) Waves make almost as good a sleep aid as does campfire singing. (One of my favorite things about camping is going to sleep hearing someone several campfires over singing campfire songs.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Little Black Car said...

I've never wanted to see Hawaii for all the regular touristy reasons, but my dad spent time there when he was in the army during Vietnam and, as a geologist, had a great time on the volcanoes. Have fun! Eat lots of fresh pineapple!

10/04/2006 2:43 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

I'm just not into the whole sun, surf, sand thing. Comes of getting second degree sunburns. I'm here to tell you that you develop a sudden interest in being indoors when the sun is shining after the first time you have a blister the size of a Kennedy dollar. Ouch!

My mom, however, has never, to my knowlege, gotten a sunburn in her life. Not one. My brother and sister have her skin tone, and not even Dad is as pale as I am. Meh. I've seen the interiors of buildings in several tropical vacation destinations. They all seem to have the same wallpaper.

Volcanos, however, are cool. So, for that matter, are fresh pineapples. Yum! And seeing some stars I've never seen has a certain appeal, as well. And maybe there'll be a biography of Father Damien available or something. That would be neat, too. And it's possible to wear a wide-brimmed hat and long sleeved cotton or linen outfit when looking at volcanos.

10/04/2006 3:29 PM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

How was the pineapple?

*****

Actually, my dad mentioned the other day that once, while he was hiking on one of the mountains, he came across the wreck of a WWII airplane. He thought he recognized the make (he recognized some of the engine parts and some other bits; he knows more about this kind of thing than I do).

A couple of years ago, we were at the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston and they had a plane there of the same make and model that the plaque said had been reconstructed using parts salvaged from an original that crashed on a mountain in Hawaii. He wonders now if it was the wreck he saw when he was there in the 1960's.

(If it makes you feel better, he has no sun-sand-beach stories about Hawaii. He might be the only person ever to have visited Hawaii and apparently taken no notice at all of the beach. I'm sure that's partly because he was there in the army, but he's got enough hiking stories that he obviously had some free time. He just didn't spend it sunbathing.)

10/23/2006 7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home