Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Simple joys when one needs to get better

Caramelized garlic on toast.
(put a small pot filled with peeled garlic cloves on the stove. add water to cover and a thin layer of olive oil - does not need to be extra-virgin, just a decently good olive oil. I use Goya's regular stuff, the kind that comes in the big bottle. Turn the flame to a medium low setting and allow to simmer until you hear the sound of garlic beginning to fry. Turn off the flame and spread the resultant goo on toasted bread - this is not the time for Wonderbread, either. Something chewy and crusty.)

Ratty pajamas. The ones with the bleach stain and the rip in the hem that have worn to a perfect level of comfort. To be worn with the slippers that don't match anything, including each other, but are warm and cozy. Okay, maybe this one is just me.

Tiger tea with licorice
Bengal spice tea, the stuff with cloves and ginger and such - essentially chai without the actual tea leaves and a broken up licorice root in the teapot. Sweeten with honey and a little lemon. If you are so inclined, add whiskey.

Sops.
Broth with toast dipped in. Even better if there are onions and garlic.

Popsicles
(So sue me. I like 'em)

Gelatin
to give a variation to all the liquids. And yes, the vegetarian stuff is better than you probably think it is. Actually, even better are those little seaweed gelatin shots available at the nearest Asian grocery, but the packaging is awful.

Amusing books.
I'm working on Al Franken's Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them (A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right) which is really funny.

Recorded Sacred Harp
I can't even talk, but I can listen to pretty music.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Little Black Car said...

The tea place near us has these little gelatin slivers they can put in your tea instead of the black tapioca balls; I think they're coconut-based. Anyway, they're vegetarian (my sister-in-law asked). But I haven't seen packages of vegetarian gelatin. I should look for those.

Ratty pajamas are the best. I had a thrift-store nightgown I wore until one night I rolled over and it split down the back. A piece of it went into the tumbler quilt.

I love that book! Love it! I laughed so hard and then felt guilty because it was all the stuff I really wanted to hear.

1/13/2007 12:59 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Popsicles. All year long. Even when it's three degrees outside.

Yeah, I'm there with ya.

1/13/2007 6:30 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

The slivers sound like baby coconut. Yum. Vegetarian gelatin is seaweed based. (carageenan and agar agar)

Many kosher gels are vegetarian, but not all, so you have to actually read the label. Ditto halal.

http://veganessentials.com/ has a couple varieties.

Also, you can use pectin to do something similar ala Turkish Delight. It's not the same, but it is good.

It's not rigorous reading, but it is enjoyable...

And yeah, popsicles. Especially lime ones.

1/13/2007 9:21 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Oh, and Kate, welcome to Blogger.

1/13/2007 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home