Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Dispelling Evil Spirits

Due to my current news fast, I am often one of the last people to find out about interesting happenings over the world. Mostly, that's not a problem. I can live without hearing about whatever the Hollywood stars are up to, or that yet another warning has been issued over global warming. Most of this isn't really news, anyway. It's olds. Somewhere in Hollywood, two very unhappy people are likely either getting married or divorced for the cameras, and I have to say that I don't actually care. They probably didn't read about my wedding, and I'm not all that keyed up about reading about theirs. (Cee, you're a different matter. I'm loving hearing about your celebrant and the arduous tasks of choosing music and registering for gifts, in large part because reading about yours is reminding me of mine, only this time I don't have the awful stress to go with it.)

And what I really want to hear about global warming is how folks are beginning to address it. Do an interview with someone who commutes by bike, or even by Twike. (The Twike is an electric/human powered hybrid, officially classified as a motorcycle in the US.) Put articles in the Home section on making existing houses more energy efficient and encouraging conservation. Cover alternative building techniques like strawbale and rammed earth. Do an article on teensy houses, or on the movement to design earth-friendly housing for disaster relief... Give me news, not olds.

And so, I was delighted to read a bit of news in the Quaker Colonel this morning. Apparantly, some Mayan priests have decided to conduct a religious ceremony to be rid of US President George W. Bush's influence on the site after he visits. My first thought was that this was an odd way to censure him, but later in the article that the Washington Post did, they mention that in other places, his visit has led to violent protest. I sincerely hope that this way of peacefully protesting Mr. Bush's violence will both avert violence and convey the deep disapproval of the locals. I have to admit that I'd begin to wonder what I was doing wrong if folks had to hold a banishment after I walked out!

4 Comments:

Blogger Little Black Car said...

Exorcising George W? Oh, my.

3/15/2007 9:38 AM  
Blogger Patricia of Trakai said...

When I went to get a haircut on Tuesday night, the salon had a copy of Ready Made magazine. Never heard of it before, but it's all about sustainability and the DIY culture. You'd probably like it. http://www.readymademag.com

-- Patty/Patricia

3/15/2007 9:40 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Well, technically, it's any evil spirits he may have left behind, but yeah, that's the idea. He's visiting an archeological site, and the priests say that their spirit guide warned them that his evil spirits would upset the ancestors' rest, so they'd have to do an exorcism after he left to ensure their comfortable rest. So they announced it and they're going to do it.

Essentially, there was a real upset about Mr. Bush visiting a sacred site with his wickedness about him, so they announced that there would be an exorcism performed afterwards.

Hi, Patty! How's the weaving coming? I'll check out the magazine in a bit.

3/15/2007 9:52 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Cleansing the site after he's gone. Oh, my. *falls over and laughs a lot*

Can we do that to the whole US, too?

3/17/2007 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home