Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sorry, folks. I've been spending a good bit of this week looking for the quiet within, and have begun many posts only to discard them again. I was deeply disturbed on more than one level by the recent tragedy in Blacksburg, but I still think that anything I would say on it would be insufficiently seasoned, so I'm going to lay it aside for now.

And talk about something completely different.

Spring is here and the summer is beginning to beckon, even as my legs are still cold from winter, my mind is on the road already. Perhaps it's because I'm going on my first roadtrip of the season this weekend or perhaps it's because next month Dad will be coming home, hopefully, but I've been thinking about trips for this summer - s'mores and campfire songs. (I can now play the first two bars of "Skip to My Lou") Tentage and packing into the new car. Roadside stops and campgrounds. (I was photographed at a tender age in Yogi's picnic basket. That kind of thing can influence future development, you know.) Farmer's markets and fireman's socials.

Local restaurants with good iced tea and sweet potato fries. Or mushrooms stuffed with homemade boursin. And I'm always a sucker for veggie melts - hold the peppers, please. Watching the stars until midnight has whispered a farewell and is long gone. Picking the raspberries and blackberries from my parents' yard. Batwatching at dusk. Potato packets on a park grill. Yeah, I think I'm ready to get out and about again.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

For me it's gardening. I've been itching to get my hands into the soil. Managed it last Sunday (and was sore until Tuesday or so).

And looking forward to summer's harvest, grape tomatoes fresh from the bush, food I grew.

4/19/2007 2:51 PM  
Blogger the laughing gypsy said...

Mmmm, a glimpse of summer cutting through these cold grey days. Must be getting warmer--today I could smell life clamoring for freedom from the earth.

4/19/2007 11:25 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Mmmm. I love the feeling that the sun's coming back to warm us, to warm the earth and coax the new life up.

4/20/2007 7:04 AM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

Boursin?

4/20/2007 9:06 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Soft cheese with garlic and herbs.

4/22/2007 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home