Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Banjo happy dance

My banjo instructor and I have both had a pretty hectic last two weeks, and last week, I didn't get a lesson in, nor did I do much practice, because... well, I've been wiped. So I basically went one week with only a little bit of practice and a second week where there was no practice. Yikes, I figured. I'm going to go back and discover that I can't do anything with the banjo and have to start practically all over again.

I was wrong. Not that I plan to regularly not practice, but I managed to pull off the smoothest g scale I've done yet, pretty much right off the bat. Where the heck did that come from? Admittedly, this was after I spent 15 minutes tuning. Banjos prefer attention, thank you, and leaving them untouched for more than a week leaves you with a banjo that not only is untuned, but that doesn't care to get into tune right away, thank you very much.

And I started practicing scales in different time signatures. And next week, when we both have our act together, and maybe even some actual sleep, I will be ready for a new song. (And I also got a glimpse of future possibilities tonight: my instructor played Strauss' "Blue Danube" on the banjo, then played it again, only in a 3 finger picking style. Whoa!)

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Little Black Car said...

Good grief, I've fallen behind; or you've been posting like a madwoman.

Can I bring my guitar and happy dance with you? I haven't actually made any progress since the last time I played in a mediocre manner but I have finally decided that I really do need that Norman Blake how-to DVD. I'm going to learn to flatpick--just a little, even--come Hell or high water before my wrists succumb to repetitive stress.

5/24/2007 12:10 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Well, maybe just a little...

Yah, sure, hey, youbetcha.

5/24/2007 4:42 PM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

You know what--about an hour after I wrote that I was nailed by a sudden attack of right-thumb tendonitis. It was the weirdest thing. My arm hurt all night.

It won't stop me, though. I knew a guy who played fingerstyle guitar for years before losing his right hand in a car accident. He finally rigged up a away to hold a flat-pick securely in his artificial pincher hand and away he went.

5/25/2007 7:42 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Ouch! Feel better soon.

Before I headed to work this morning, I just picked up the banjo, tuned (of course), and played a couple scales in different times, then played "Skip to My Lou" smoothly. Happy, happy.

5/25/2007 8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Elizabeth,

Been busy for a while,but I'm back ro reading your blogs. I did want to tell you thank you for all the time, and thoughts that you let my father and I enjoy. It was interesting and actually educational. :) I know he enjoyed it as well. thank you. t2u l8r. bye
-JG-

5/26/2007 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home