Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Friday, May 18, 2007

A request

Dear Senator X,

I am the daughter of a currently deployed soldier in the National Guard and am writing to you to urge you to help the interpreters who have helped our military and civilian forces to do the tasks we have given them to do.

My father's work is helped by a man whose American nickname is S. He cannot use his real name because already he and his family have been threatened in the unstable situation that our country helped to create when we invaded Iraq. S has risked everything including his own life and the lives of his family to help my father provide medical care in Iraq, and my father's dream is to bring him to the United States, the country he has helped to serve at such a high cost.

While I believe we did wrong to invade a nation that had not attacked us, I believe also that we must do our utmost to help those who have risked their lives to help our soldiers complete the task we have given them.

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

The Plain Fool

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you read Bill Moyers' wonderful commentary over at The Huffington Post titled "I'm Harry"? It's worth a google. I suppose I understand why the British government reversed themselves and kept him home, but it's good to know that his comrades were prepared--in the best British tradition. If only we had such heart!

5/18/2007 7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't have a clue how my Bill Moyers comment ended up here; it was supposed to be with "Prince Harry and Iraq," obviously.

5/18/2007 7:48 PM  
Blogger Cat C-B (and/or Peter B) said...

This post fills me with such sadness... I do so hope that S is permitted to come to this country. It makes me sad to think how uncertain that really is.

Incidentally, though I rarely comment here, I am a regular reader... and I enjoy your blog very much.

5/21/2007 12:38 PM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Cat, thank you. I also regularly read and enjoy yours.

I also hope that S. can come here. Further, I really hope that my dad's full dream can be realized of inviting S. to come on a trip with him through the United States, and later to travel with him through Iraq as a peaceful civilian.

5/21/2007 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home