Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Out of words

It seems silly: I'm a storyteller, a writer, an editor. I might forget my lunch, but not my words, my stories. I sometimes feel that what really runs through my veins is The Story, but today I feel out of words to say what I want to say.

Maybe it's that I'm overloaded - I've been doing a lot of editing, and my inbox has been the recipient of loads of spam today. No, I'm not interested in refinancing my house, getting plastic surgery, or meeting Asian women. Maybe it's that I'm tired. I've been working and crafting a lot recently. The blanket is now too big to come to my cube with me (If it were a lapghan, I'd be done, but not yet...) And so I've started a second blanket that is small so I can take it to work. At Dad's suggestion, this one will be headed for an organization that distributes blankets to the soldiers who return wounded.

But one thing did inspire me today. Unfortunately, it's another crafting project. I saw this and had an inspiration. I could make a postcard quilt of a picture that is sometimes sitting there in the back of my head - it's one I've painted and sketched in endless variations since I first left home - basically, a view of the hills I grew up in. Better yet, I could make three! Send one version to my dad, and another to the valentines project, and yet another to be sold to raise money for Alzheimer's research...

This from a woman who hasn't finished the blanket she's been blogging about for a couple months. (Well, in my defense, my goal is to finish it Real Soon Now. Squares that arrive in my mailbox are added within hours of me getting the mail. As in, I get a picture for the flickr page, edge, and add them in that night. And I'm getting to the point of having where almost everything goes pictured in my head. I still don't have quite enough squares, but we're very, very close... And the second blanket is in bulky yarn on a K hook...)

And there's a personal project for a friend that I really should be working on, but haven't...

And I haven't done any paper crafting in a while...

I think the problem may be that the words are having to fight for space in the queue.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two more squares comin' up ... I hope to get them in the mail by the end of the week. Use either or both as you see fit.

2/01/2007 4:15 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

Thanks! I'll save space for at least one of them. If I can't fit both in, I promise the second will also be used for something good (I'm thinking Afghans for Afghans, since I like their approach and they take wool.)

And last night, I got some Noro Aurora from my Local Yarn Pusher. Oooh. Shiny. No idea what I'll do with it yet, but it's sitting next to the angora just being beautiful. And I think that's enough for now.

2/01/2007 5:03 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Brain full = no words for me, sometimes, too. Take some deep breaths and get a few things done, and they'll come back.

2/01/2007 11:00 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

What was especially irritating was that even as I was wanting words and feeling overextended, I could just *see* that mini quilt. Now, it would be a great addition to my paper crafting ways and a really neat and relatively quick project, but I really don't need more projects, just now, thanks ever so...

Luckily, when I really needed words later last night, they came.

2/01/2007 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home