Just Plain Foolish

Just a chance for an old-fashioned, simple storyteller to say what needs to be said.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Happy news!

A cousin of mine has just given birth to my new first cousin once removed, hereinafter referred to as "the cutest little girl west of the Mississippi!" Who has a stuffed hippo in her future. Or more like 3 (my husband had a stuffed hippo as a young boy and went a little nuts when he found 3 different stuffed hippos at Ikea). And bibs. And much love.

And I got a tiny bit overwhelmed last night when I came home to an unexpected package. Someone had heard from my mom about the blanket and over the course of 5 days had done 7 squares. And embroidered one of them, too. So I've added another row to the blanket, which will mean that even if he stretches out a lot while sleeping, it shouldn't uncover his toes. It does mean I'm going to have to clear off some space this weekend to lay out the whole thing again in order to integrate all the new squares.

The old car we'd kept going so far has finally given up the ghost - there's probably enough there to get her to a dealer, but I wouldn't want to drive her any further. So for the present time, we're on public transit and Zipcar, which is a car rental service that will rent out cars in tiny increments of time and has cars parked through the city, rather than just at the airports.

And I'd like to ask for folks to hold some friends of mine in the light as they go through a difficult time. Right now, there's a need for peacemaking at home and sometimes it seems harder to make peace at home than anywhere else.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Little Black Car said...

I also recommend rabbits. My childhood best friend had a stuffed rabbit and I have a second-generation genuine velveteen rabbit.

I got your email. Working on it, but I don't think its the kind of thing that is best served with a quick answer.

2/02/2007 7:45 AM  
Blogger Plain Foolish said...

I really liked the stuffed crab. I mean, there's just something so deliciously silly about a stuffed crab. So I got one, and am likely to make another out of some blue fabric left over from making sheets. I was very attached to a teddy bear exactly the right size to be carried on a toddler hip.

2/02/2007 9:23 AM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

There's a little boy at meeting who always brings the oddest stuffed toys. He's got a lobster and a clam hand puppet and all kinds of weird things. I saw a stuffed horseshoe crab when we were in Cape May and immediately thought of him. (I got myself an otter. I have this weird fondness for otter. I now have both the river and sea varieties in stuffed toy form.)

I love oddball stuffed toys. Mom had a manatee. I had a raccoon and a sea lion. My brother had a bison and a harp seal pup that looked real.

2/03/2007 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your cousin's new daughter! I'm sure she is cute as a baby duck...since my grandchildren are both boys, I won't argue with her status as "cutest little girl".

My own daughter had a particular fondness for stuffed lions, and never even owned a Barbie. We wouldn't buy her one, because of potential body-image problems for girls, but she later bought one for herself because she thought she had been deprived as a child.

2/04/2007 11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of squares ... I don't believe I have your addresses, e- and snail. Can you drop me a line? This username at Yahoo will work fine.

And yay for new cousins! My cousin just sent me pictures of her son, and it was great to hear from her. (He is of course adorable, but as he is a he and is east of the Mississippi, he poses no threat to the new little one's status. ;-) )

2/06/2007 4:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home